[ros-users] Turtlebot stack on Roomba (need help)

Jan Tuennermann tuennermann at get.uni-paderborn.de
Mon May 16 21:24:12 UTC 2011

Hi Gonçalo,

thanks for the reply.

>Here at the lab we also use Roombas instead of Creates. I have browsed the turtlebot stack but I haven't tried it with the Roombas yet. We also got a couple of Kinects last week but I haven't had the time to go around and plug them to the Roombas.

That's nice, so we can share some knowledge.

> My first shot in the dark would be the fact that some of the stuff in the navigation stack requires a
> laser scan to work properly, so in order to use the kinect you need to also use a very cool node that
> comes with the turtlebot stack that grabs de point cloud from the kinect and publishes a laser scan.
> There are some launch files that show exactly how to do that.

Yes your right, but that part is working perfectly. I can see the
simulated laser scans in rzviz.

> I wrote the roomba_500_series and I used the standard names in ROS, in that regard it should be
> pretty similar to using the turtlebot create driver.

Thanks a lot for the driver! It's really useful.

> If there are some differences you can always do some remapping on the topics or change some
> frame_ids. However keep in mind that the turtlebot will fuse data from the encoder odometry with
> data from a gyro by means of a kalman filter, and I'm guessing you don't have a gyro on your
> Roomba, so another thing to keep in mind when using the turtlebot launch files.

Hmmm. Maybe that is part of the problem! I did not consider that.

> I will try to run the turtlebot stack on a Roomba with the Kinect tomorrow to see if I can get it to work.
> In the meanwhile send me the launch files you modified for your setup.

Unfortunately I made some changes in the code (instead of remapping an
setting parameters) and touched several launch files. So I lost track a
bit :-[ .  I will start with a fresh installation tomorrow.
One important change I do remember:
  in kinect_laser.launch you will need to replace the frame-ids'
/kinect_ part with openni  /openni_

I will let you know when I make any progress in getting gmapping running,
but probably you have it runing first :)

thank again,
Jan