[ros-users] rosmsg and rossrv prototype

Dorian Scholz DorianScholz at gmx.de
Tue Nov 1 17:32:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

just wanted to let you know about the SIG for Fuerte called "ROS GUI":
http://www.ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Planning/ROS%20GUI

It is a Qt based GUI framework for Python and C++ plugins and one of the
first plugins I developed for it does exactly what your are looking for
(as GUI though).

The Publisher plugin lets you publish messages by selecting the message
type and showing you all it's fields in a tree view.
The default value for all fields are shown in the correct Python syntax,
making it very easy for you to edit them to what ever you like.
You can even put in small formulas to get changing values over time i.e.
sin(i/10.0) for a periodic output using the publish counter 'i' as input.
There are already some more plugins for i.e. topic introspection, robot
steering, image viewing and 2D plotting of numerical data.

The ROS GUI is still under a lot of development, but for easy tasks like
this it is quite usable.
I have not done anything similar for services yet, but we are looking
for good plugin ideas and are open to contributions ;-)

Cheers,
Dorian