[ros-users] mr as a substitute for rosinstall

Thibault Kruse kruset at in.tum.de
Fri Nov 18 19:11:41 UTC 2011

Hi Jochen and Martin,

just giving more facts:

Since it seems mr does not have a website, only a manpage, here is a
link to an online version of it:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man1/mr.1.html

The choice of perl may offer more problems than just portability, such
as finding
people to fix bugs or extend the code.

I also do not quite like the choice of an INI file variant for the mr
config files,
containing arbitrary shell commands.

The natty variant seems to install mr_0.51
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+package/mr> (though I am not sure),
which by
default trusts other mr files (and the arbitrary commands therein), oneiric
has the newer version which does not.

Either way however is useless for using mr in scripts, which can call mr
with
the option to trust anything.

I agree to Ken that it is unclear whether the benefits of switching
would outweight the effort.

The part of rosintall generating setup files is not really that huge, so it
should be rather easy to combine that with mr. So a quick hack of
mr-rosinstall should not take too long, should anyone feel like it.

cheers,
   Thibault