[ros-users] rosboost_cfg prefers newer version to ROS_BOOST_ROOT

Sebastian Höfer sebastian.hoefer at tu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 20 17:17:38 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have discovered a problem with rosboost_cfg. I have two versions of
boost installed on my machine (Ubuntu 10.04). One version is 1.47 64bit
which I compiled myself, the libs are located at /usr/local. The other
version is the one which comes with ros and which is located at /usr.
(In case of diamondback the boost version is 1.40, 32bit; but the same
problem occurs with electric.)

Obviously, my newer version is incompatible with ROS, so I tried to
override the ROS_BOOST_ROOT by setting it to /usr. However, this is
ignored and rosboost_cfg chooses 1.47 anyway, since the function
"find_versions" sorts the possible library includes by its version, see
rosboost_cfg.py, line 171. In my opinion, this is a bug since setting
ROS_BOOST_ROOT explicitly should override all other settings.

Therefore I would suggest to file a ticket for this issue.

It seems that this issue has already been somehow reported on the
mailing list:
http://code.ros.org/lurker/message/20101108.200232.71cc1ce9.en.html
However, no suggestion to solve this problem was made.

Best,
Sebastian