[ros-users] Running ROS nodes without ROS

Tyler Stigliano tstigliano at knights.ucf.edu
Fri Oct 21 19:57:49 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am currently working on
a project where I would like to take a ROS node , in particular the
Laser Pipeline node, and integrate it into our current source code
maintained by Visual Studios on Windows 7. Our goal is to create a 3D
composite map from data read in from a laser to help our  MANUS Assistive Robotic Manipulator (ARM)
navigate better. The solution we came up with is
to mount a Hokuyo Laser onto our MANUS ARM. Over the past couple weeks I have began to familiarize my self
with how the laser_pipeline node works on Ubuntu and have
successfully read in data from the laser and turned it into a  3D composite
map. Now that the beginning phase of this process is over a few
questions have come up. Is it possible to run ROS nodes without
roscore? I understand that roscore acts as a communicator between all
of the nodes. How I see it now is that roscore acts as a bridge
between the implementation of the nodes, i.e. the laser reads in
data, roscore takes the data to the filter, the data is filtered,
roscore takes the data to the assembler, and finally the data is
assembled into a map. How could we successfully implement these
actions outside a ROS environment if in fact this is what is
happening?

Thank you for your time,

Tyler.