[ros-users] Yet another fix for vcstools + git

Peter Soetens peter at thesourceworks.com
Tue Oct 25 22:56:52 UTC 2011

Ticket # 3251 attempted to fix a git submodules bug, but the proposed
patch was a hack which assumed submodules wouldn't change across
branches. In our case, they do and the patch breaks our build on
oneiric of the orocos_toolchain_ros package. This could easily break
other stacks as well as more git stacks with submodules are created.

The correct fix is to delay the checkout and then update the submodules.
Also, there was a bug in the current version that if version was empty,
the checkout would not necessarily use HEAD.

I fixed all these issues and tested on a rosinstall file containing:

- git: {local-name: ros-git-test, uri:
'http://git.mech.kuleuven.be/robotics/orocos_toolchain_ros.git' }

as above, with a version: master and with a version: oneiric item
The oneiric version is without submodules, the master is with submodules.

I can't retest the case of ticket #3251 since that repos no longer exists,
but I think I got all cases covered.

Please consider applying since this bug breaks our oneiric build:
http://build.willowgarage.com/job/prerelease_electric_orocos_toolchain_ros_oneiric_amd64/2/console

The alternative for us is to define orocos-toolchain-ros as a variant
in the rosdistro file, but I could not find documentation on how to
test or release a variant.

Peter