[ros-users] patch + packages for ccny_vision on natty

Piyush piyushk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 22:08:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Bill Morris <bill at iheartengineering.com> wrote:
> I am not sure this is the ideal solution.
>
> First a patch should probably be pushed upstream if possible. I emailed
> Philip Lamb at ARToolworks to see if they are accepting patches for the
> GPL version.

This is an excellent point. Let me know if you hear back from Philip,
and whether the patch can be pushed to the main ARToolKit repository.

> Second, I would prefer not modifying the tarball directly as it is
> supposed to be a snapshot of the ARToolkit SVN. I think the preferred
> route is to use patch and replace the patch_v4l kludge.
>
> It is probably clearer what something like the patch system for the
> canonical scan matcher is doing.
> ccny-ros-pkg/scan_tools/csm/Makefile
> ----
> patch:
> ifneq (,$(wildcard $(BUILD_DIR)/.patched))
>        @echo Patching CSM
>        cd $(SOURCE_DIR) && patch -p0 < ../../patch_a
>        cd $(SOURCE_DIR) && patch -p0 < ../../patch_b
>        cd $(SOURCE_DIR) && patch -p0 < ../../patch_c
>        touch $(BUILD_DIR)/.patched
> else
>        @echo CSM previously patched, use 'make wipe' to completely
> remove build directory.
> endif
>
> wipe: clean
>        rm -rf $(BUILD_DIR)
> ----

This looks much better. I can rewrite this using 2 patch files - one
for the change the patch_v4l currently provides, and one for the the
v4l stuff. Is this ok with the guys at CCNY?