[ros-users] rospkg API review (REP 114)

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Mon Oct 10 21:40:43 UTC 2011

Thanks to all who provided comments on the rospkg API.  Now that the comment
deadline has passed, I have added a summary to the review page of
proposed/adopted changes:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/rospkg/Reviews/2011-09%20rospkg#Meeting_agenda

I don't think it will be necessary to hold a formal meeting given that the
changes are fairly simple.

Most of the changes are minor or additions of missing APIs.   The main,
breaking change being proposed is:

rospkg.RosPack(ros_root='foo', ros_package_path='path1:path2')

rospkg.RosPack(path=['foo', 'path1:path2'])

As well a similar changes to remove explicit knowledge of ROS_ROOT and
ROS_PACKAGE_PATH from the RosPack/RosStack APIs.  The motivation for this
change is forwards compatibility and versatility (see below).

This change was proposed by Tully and I'm inclined to accept it barring any
objections (which you may not in the normal "+1", "-1" style).

 - Ken

Forwards compatibility:

ROS_ROOT, as opposed to just a generic ROS_PACKAGE_PATH, is mainly necessary
for constructing a system PATH; future changes will make this no longer
necessary, and thus make ROS_ROOT vestigial.

Versatility:

By accepting a generic 'path' argument, the RosPack class is decoupled from
any particular idea of environment variables, etc... It just knows there is
an ordered set of paths it operates on.