[ros-users] Latency of subscriber callback for large amount of data

Troy Straszheim straszheim at willowgarage.com
Thu Oct 13 23:52:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Eric Perko <wisesage5001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Kim, Yoonsoo <yesarang.kim at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Troy,
>> What do you think about providing TCP_NODELAY option at ros::init()
>> and making this option default transport hint for suceeding subscriber or
>> publisher
>> initialization?

Again, this might have been a reasonable default in the beginning, but
at this point I am very reluctant to subtly change the networking
behavior of roscpp, given that there is no way to check if the user
needs to be warned about this change of behavior... it will break
things (as Eric points out, it could cause wireless links to saturate,
etc) without explanation.