[ros-users] ROS Service Definition (common_msgs) for Camera Parameters (FPS, Whitebalance, etc).

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 18:42:44 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Maxim Taschew <maxim at taschew.de> wrote:

> ROS Service Definition (common_msgs) for Camera Parameters
> (FPS,Whitebalance, etc).****
>
> Hi ROS Users,****
>
> I’m currently working on a ros driver for a camera.
> I could use the listed common_msgs image, camera_info, setCameraInfo to
> create my driver to some sort of - let’s say standard ;). So far so good.*
> ***
>
> However last week I came across the issues of parameterizing my camera in
> terms of FPS, Whitebalance, Gain, ROI and so on. Unfortunately there isn’t
> any suggestion about parameterizing made in the camera_driver part in ROS.
> ****
>
> And this leads to my question:****
>
> Wouldn’t it make sense to have a parameter service message for Cameras in
> the common_msg stack? This could include values like fps, roi, encoding and
> so on. This way the parameters of a camera could be set way more generic.
> For example with a parameterizing node, this could be used for any camera
> node that has this parameter service.****
>
> Of course every camera has different parameters which can be set or not.
> This problem could be solved with a camera_parameter_info message. This
> message may keep information about supported parameters for the device.  For
> instance FPS (yes,no) and FPS min and max Values.****
>
> Here is a very “cheap” (sry, it’s Sunday!!) picture to give visual support.
> ****
>
> http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/8985/cameraparameter.jpg****
>
> ** **
>
> So what do you think about

Have you taken a look at how the existing drivers such as camera1394 use
dynamic_reconfigure? There was also discussion in the Fuerte Drivers SIG
about ways to extend dynamic_reconfigure that may be relevant. See the links
here: http://www.ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Planning/Drivers#Proposed_new_features

- Eric