[ros-users] Problems with rosbags in Electric on Oneiric

Hordur Johannsson hordurj at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 17:12:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-30 at 09:45 -0700, Bhaskara Marthi wrote:
> This seems to be a general problem, not just on Oneiric, with rosbag
> on electric.  A ticket has been created at
> https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/3727.
> - Bhaskara
I opened this ticket https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/3709 a while
ago. The rosbag in Electric creates a new connection for each message.
If you are recording large bag files I would avoid using Electric
and switch to Diamondback. Otherwise you end up with a bag file that
takes very long to load, e.g. I had a file with 1 million messages and
gave up after having waited for an hour.

A part of the problem is also they way rosbag play works. It scans
the whole file looking into the index for each chunk. Each chunk is
around 1MB so a 30GB would require 3000 seeks which take ~2min. So
you would have to wait few minutes before seeing the first message.
The second problem is that before playing rosbag play iterates through
all the connections and finding connections that match the query
settings. When you log using Electric you might have a lot of
those (1 per message).

It might be useful to create a version of rosbag that is tuned to
quick startup and processes queries and chunk headers as they are
encountered.

Thanks,
Hordur