[ros-users] SVN Trunk: rospkg dependency and rostopic bug

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Mon Oct 31 22:04:37 UTC 2011

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the report.  I think the short answer is "you probably
don't want to be on 'ros' trunk; I think you only need ros_comm
trunk". A longer answer is below.

These dependencies are a known issue -- we are refactoring the 'ros'
stack in order to make it a proper debian, with the underlying Python
libraries being PyPI compatible.   We are still doing the code-level
work; the actual packaging-related work is still in progress.  Our
development process does not guarantee a working trunk (e.g.
test_roslib, which tests the relevant code, is currently broken
pending more refactoring/deprecation).  The goal generally is to purge
as many of the 'roslib' API usage as much as possible prior to Fuerte
release and use rospkg instead.

Notes on these ROS core changes/roadmap are recorded here (at a higher level):

http://www.ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Planning/ROS%20Core
http://www.ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Planning/ROS%20Core/2011-10-19

As for:

> Pulling in genpy via easy_install also pulls down genmsg as a
> dependency.  Troy Straszheim suggested that perhaps this was not
> desirable.

I'm not sure what what suggested in what context, but genpy uses
genmsg as its underlying library; this is desired.

cheers,
Ken