[ros-users] can't install electric from source

Tom Temple tom.temple at vecna.com
Thu Sep 1 18:00:06 UTC 2011

rosinstall fails with "rospack failed to build"

Issuing VERBOSE=1 make against rospack directly it looks like it can't link to
tinyxml. (output below)

I had libtinyxml-dev and libtinyxml-2.6.2 installed via apt-get.  I purged them
and tried rosinstall again and got the same error.

Potential clue: I was able to install electric-desktop-full with apt-get
successfully, but I would get similar errors with rosmake, e.g., when making
laser_geometry I was getting an error related to linking to eigen.  This
suggests to me that I'm not installing the system dependencies in a ros friendly
way.

I'm basically stumped and would really appreciate any suggestions for what to try.

Thanks!

make output follows.

wolverine at x-mansion:/opt/ros/ros/tools/rospack>VERBOSE=1 make
Linking CXX shared library ../lib/librospack.so
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/link.txt --verbose=1

/usr/bin/c++  -fPIC -O3 -DNDEBUG  -shared -Wl,-soname,librospack.so -o
../lib/librospack.so CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/rospack.o
CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/tinyxml-2.5.3/tinystr.o
CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/tinyxml-2.5.3/tinyxml.o
CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/tinyxml-2.5.3/tinyxmlparser.o
CMakeFiles/rospack.dir/tinyxml-2.5.3/tinyxmlerror.o
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.3/libstdc++.a(functexcept.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32 against `std::bad_typeid::~bad_typeid()' can not be used
when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.3/libstdc++.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Tom Temple, PhD.
Scientist
tom.temple at vecna.com
617-674-8544 (office)
617-833-5130 (mobile)
www.vecna.com

Cambridge Research Laboratory
Vecna Technologies, Inc.
36 Cambridge Park Drive
Cambridge, MA 02140
Office: (617) 864-0636
Fax: (617) 864-0638

Better Technology, Better World (TM)

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential. Therefore, if
this message has been received in error,
please delete it without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not
intended to waive any applicable privilege.
Please do not disseminate this message without the permission of the author.