[ros-users] Strange problem running ROS across multiple machines

Ander Ansuategui aansuategui at tekniker.es
Thu Sep 8 08:57:30 UTC 2011

Hi,
we are facing some strange problems regarding communication between multiple  machines. We are developing a teleoperation package for our Segway RMP200 robot, which has a Kinect on top. We run roscore, openni and the segway driver on the robot, and we can see all the topics by using rostopic list  command from a laptop. Moreover, we receive the kinect image successfully in our teleoperation application running in the laptop, and we also have a ros service running on the robot, which is called also successfully.
The problem comes when we try to move the robot by sending Twist messages to /cmd_vel topic. Apparently the messages don't reach the robot because when we run "rostopic echo /cmd_vel" command no data is shown. But when running the same command in the laptop, the data is shown as expected.
Following the tutorials, we have just changed the  laptop's ROS_MASTER_URI var. We have tried ad-hoc wired and wireless communication. We are surprised because most of the communication works (kinect and service call for instance) but writing to topics doesn't. Has anyone experienced a similar behavior?
We would be very grateful for any help.
Regards.
Ander

Mezu honen informazioa isilpekoa izan daiteke eta indarrean dagoen legediak babesten du. Hutsegite baten ondorioz jaso baduzu, bidal iezaiozu berriro bidaltzaileari eta ezaba ezazu. Milesker zure laguntzagatik.
La informaci?n de este correo puede ser confidencial y est? protegida por la legislaci?n vigente. Si ha recibido este correo por error, reenv?elo a su emisor y elim?nelo. Gracias por su ayuda.
This e-mail may contain confidential information that is protected by our laws. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please, notify the sender and delete it. Thank you for your help.