[ros-users] tcpros on ethernet-enabled embedded devices

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Wed Sep 21 21:19:53 UTC 2011

Hey all,

Has anyone had any luck deploying TCPROS on microcontrollers which have
ethernet interfaces?

I'm using a Cortex M3, and I'd like to be able to do realtime stuff, so I
would prefer to stay close to the metal, rather than running on top of a
linux kernel. What I'm envisioning is this device participating on a wired
network with a PC which provides roscore. The M3 would come up and have an
IP configured where it looks for core (or it could just arp on its subnet
and try them all).

On a high level, what's the feasibility of this? How possible will it be to
run the comms portion of roscpp without depending on OS-provided process
management, signalling, sockets, etc?

I've been having trouble using eros with the vendor-provided toolchain, so
I've also been experimenting with just manually compiling portions of
libros--- how realistic is that as an alternative approach?

As a third possibility, would it make sense to try to build this up from
rosserial, rather than by peeling away layers of roscpp?

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions,

Mike