[ros-users] REP 115: rosco and roslocate tools for rosinstall

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Fri Sep 2 17:44:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Kevin Walchko <kevin.walchko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds good, but when you say "install fragments" do you mean manifest.xml and mainpage.dox?

"rosinstall fragments" refers to rosinstall files, e.g.:

- svn:
    local-name: foo
    uri: http://foo/svn

Is a rosinstall fragment.  I'll edit the REP to make this definition more clear.

> Why don't you just roll this roslocate capability into rospack which already handles ros packages? Wouldn't it round out the capabilities for one utility which handles packages?

roslocate doesn't deal with packages, per se.  It just finds indexed
code for you.  The 'type' command tells you what type of code it found
(package, stack).  Another way to think of it: rospack and rosstack
deal with code that you have placed on disk.  roslocate is a lookup
tool that searches the web to find more code that you can place on
disk.  One of the commands that got removed from roslocate that I hope
to restore in the future is a true search (by keyword/description)
capability -- it had to be removed due to changes in our indexer.

> I don't use roslocate, so what is the use case for this? I see utility in getting the vcs info, but the other stuff seems nice but not useful.

The commands and use cases predominantly relate to the vcs information
(info, vcs, uri).  Some are there to support potential tooling (type,
www, repo) -- another use case of roslocate is in higher-level tools
such as install GUIs.  "Describe" is meant for users who wish to know
what it is they are potentially downloading.  I would be fine with
folding the www and repo commands into the 'describe' command if
people felt that the reduced API was beneficial.

 - Ken