[ros-users] Developers: ROS Fuerte Planning SIGs

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Wed Sep 7 22:32:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Mac Mason <mac at cs.duke.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We're trying a new way of planning our next ROS Distribution, ROS
>> Fuerte, in order to make it easier for people to get involved and also
>> handle the breadth of areas that ROS-related software deals with.
>>
>> If you go to:
>>
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Planning
>>
>> You will see an editable list of Special Interest Groups (SIGs).
>> Below each SIG is a brief description as well as a signup list.  We
>> have seeded the list so that people have some examples to go by.
>
> A question of scope: is "Make OS X a real platform" a subset of the
> "target platforms" SIG, or should there be a separate
> MakeItWorkOnTheSteveJobsMayHeRetireInPeaceOperatingSystemSIG? I see that
> the Fuerte planning document says, roughly, "We dunno yet", which didn't
> clear it up.

Ontologies are difficult. The way I would unbundle this is that:

1. There should be an OS X SIG.
2. Someone with a vested OS X interested should sit in on the 'target
platforms' SIG to help guide any choices away from having averse OS X
affects.

It is important to note, though, that an SIG should not say "OS X Lion
is now an official platform because we say so." An SIG could say "We,
the undersigned members, are committed to supporting OS X Lion as an
official platform."  NOTE: it takes quite a few people and build
servers to make this true just for Ubuntu, but an SIG could definitely
take steps towards making this more feasible.

 - Ken