[ros-users] multi-master support for Fuerte

Jeff Rousseau <jrousseau@aptima.com> JRousseau at aptima.com
Thu Sep 8 16:06:18 UTC 2011

I've been using foreign_relay in a multi-robot scenario utilizing tcp over an intermittent wifi connection.  It would be curious to see what others want in a multi-master system though--Ken, have you compiled a list of use cases during the BuildingManager discussions?

I could start by implementing a system that supports most of what users want rather than something so low level that everyone has to re-implement what they need.  I'm not saying that foreign_relay isn't great, I'm just saying it's not a complete solution.

My personal wishlist for a multi-master system in ROS is:
- native master discovery (mDNS?) or "find me all the robots available on my network"

- topic/service discovery with the concept of "public" topics that a master is exporting with various policy levels (read-only and read-write topics to start)

- proper handling of dropped network connections
   - e.g. topic notification or master callback handlers for connection changes--with maybe a default that just creates WARNING/ERROR logs on the subscribers side

Anyone have anything they'd like to see in a multi-master solution that I didn't include?

NOTE: The wifi_comm package out of the ISR-UC repo more or less provides master discovery, but it operates on mesh networks instead of the more traditional wifi network topologies that personal indoor robotics employ (at least from my experience).

Jeff