[ros-users] Laser Pipeline Node and Windows

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 00:36:15 UTC 2011

On 14 September 2011 01:12, Tyler Stigliano <tstigliano at knights.ucf.edu>wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> I have a question concerning the Laser Pipeline Node running on a Windows
> platform. As of now with only the roscpp, rosout, and actionlib being
> successfully implemented on Windows what else is stopping the Laser Pipeline
> Node from working?

Mostly just because nobody has scratched that itch yet ;)

> Also, what are the main restrictions on Windows that makes it unstable to
> run ROS?

Only two real problems on windows.

Scheduling priorities and delays often hammer your control loops on windows
(can't do kernel real time, or even the lesser posix real time scheduling
and timings are a bit laggier), but that is only a really big issue for
motor control. Timestamping on other sensors can keep things in check.

The second problem is that its hard to put together a complicated system.
Just look at how many and useful rosdeps are. If your needs are simple
though, then its ok. For packages that aren't yet currently implemented on
windows, often all that is needed is some testing and minor
porting/patching.

I'll be kicking win-ros-pkg and eros into shape for msvc and mingw builds on
electric this and next week. If you want to add patches, submit them to the
ros trackers (they'll probably go onto trunk). I can also hibernate them in
win-ros-pkg/eros so they can be easily applied on top of electric. Let me
know by email if you want to try this direction.

Cheers,
Daniel Stonier.