[ros-users] tcpros on ethernet-enabled embedded devices

Trevor Jay tjay at cs.brown.edu
Fri Sep 23 18:40:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Mike Purvis
<mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com> wrote:
> How much of what exists in roscpp would be usable? Or would we be building
> it up mostly from scratch? I know the protocol is stable at this point, but
> I have concerns about the long-term maintenance cost of building up and
> supporting a brand new client.

All of the basic features of roscpp are available in the protocol
sense, but there is no client-side library. Our approach to prevent
clients from being maintenance nightmares is to allow them to be as
light as possible. Unless you need to use one of the ROS
"meta-protocols" (such as actions), a client should only be a few
dozen lines. Our Javascript client is only 73 lines, including all of
the necessary web-socket networking. What features of roscpp are you
looking for?

_Trevor