[ros-users] Telepresence and teleoperation application open sourced

Oier Mees oier.mees at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 15:14:02 UTC 2011

Hello,
during a summer internship in Tekniker Research Center, I have developed a
telepresence and teleoperation application which I have just published. You
can teleoperate the robot, in my case a segway rmp 200 with a kinect on top,
with the joystick or the gyro of the PS3 controller, besides the usual
buttons of the UI. Also, a videoconference is performed with the client PC
and if the user clicks inside the rectangle where the kinects video stream
is shown, the robot will attempt to reach that destination. For instance, as
you can see in the demo video, if the user clicks on a person who is in the
middle of a corridor, the robot will calculate the distance thanks to the
kinects depth sensor and try to go to destination by using ROS navigation
stack.
A coworker is now going to continue developing and maintaining it, so we
would be grateful for any kind of feedback or contribution.
You can grab the code at: https://github.com/taj/tekniker_telepresence
and see a demo video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObFuc7oyMhU
Regards,
Oier Mees