[ros-users] Ros release script feedback

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Thu Sep 29 15:55:50 UTC 2011

hi Peter,

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Peter Soetens <peter at thesourceworks.com> wrote:
> I wonder if the release scripts could be modified such that the VCS module gets
> an extra option 'aim' which contains one of "package"/"tag"/"branch". The git
> vcs module could use this information to decide if a recursive checkout is
> needed or not.

That sounds like a good feature.  Do you think you could provide a
patch that implements it?

We (at Willow) don't use git much (we're still using svn a lot, and
for DVCS, we're mostly on hg), so we don't see the problem you're
describing.

> Another question which rises is why on earth 3 checkouts are done, and why it
> doesn't work on a single checkout of the sources.

Perhaps another patch?  For svn (where the release scripts started),
there's only 1 checkout; the tag and branch steps are invoked
remotely.

	brian.