[ros-users] ROS decentralise architecture, without ROS Master

Cedric Pradalier cedric.pradalier at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:51:46 UTC 2012

Hello,

For inspiration, we're using (have to use) RTI DDS in an other
project, and although the whole setup is not as practical as ROS, they
have a masterless implementation and per topic, fine-grain
configurable quality of service.
This might be an interesting reference for these white board discussions.

Cheers

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Dirk Thomas <dthomas at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> Hi Gaëtan,
>

>> I am wondering if there any work done about decentralise architecture for
>> ROS. I mean connection and exchange of services between nodes without the
>> need of a ROS Master, in an "ad hok mode".
>>
>> I found no information about this neither in the Wiki, FAQ or ROS Answer
>> pages.
>>
>> If you have some information about previous or ongoing work on the subject
>> I'm interested !
>

> For now the suggested multi-master approach is the best way to go.
>
> For the future we are actively thinking about master-less solutions.
> But this is all still in "white-board" phase and nothing which will be
> available in the near term.
> As soon as ideas and concepts get more concrete we will put together
> information in the Wiki.
>
> Dirk

Cedric Pradalier