[ros-users] Enterprise Version of ROS

Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian adolfo.rodriguez at pal-robotics.com
Mon Apr 16 07:45:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM, Jonathan Bohren
<jonathan.bohren at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Edwards, Shaun M. <sedwards at swri.org>wrote:
>
>> I agree that hardware drivers are a good place to start.  However, I
>> think the sooner we can certify ROS core (communications, node handling,
>> etc..), the better.
>>

> I know this is the first question I get asked by someone unfamiliar with
> ROS when I mention it. This is an especially important focus here at
> Hopkins where so many research systems are being developed for applications
> with high-cost-of-failure like robotic surgery, deep sea exploration, and
> on-orbit telerobotics.

I see two very valid and mostly orthogonal use cases so far.

1. Ensuring that certain core ROS functionalities comply with some
(3rd-party certified) criteria, so that people that deal with
high-cost-of-failure or safety-critical systems can trust what they are
using.

2. Ensuring that a certain piece of hardware/software is ROS-compatible, so
that people that venture into using them can expect compliance with
specified ROS interfaces (no surprises attached).

I see great value in both, but to clarify, my initial answer to this thread
was oriented mostly towards 1.

Adolfo.

> -j
>
> --
> Jonathan Bohren
> PhD Student
> Dynamical Systems and Control Laboratory
> Laboratory for Computational Sensing and Robotics
> The Johns Hopkins University
>
> (707) 520-4736
> jbo at jhu.edu

Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian
Robotics engineer
adolfo.rodriguez at pal-robotics.com
http://www.pal-robotics.com

PAL ROBOTICS S.L
c/ Pujades 77-79, 4º4ª
08005 Barcelona, Spain.
Tel. +34.93.414.53.47
Fax.+34.93.209.11.09

AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD: Este mensaje y sus documentos adjuntos, pueden
contener información privilegiada y/o confidencial que está dirigida
exclusivamente a su destinatario. Si usted recibe este mensaje y no es el
destinatario indicado, o el empleado encargado de su entrega a dicha
persona, por favor, notifíquelo inmediatamente y remita el mensaje original
a la dirección de correo electrónico indicada. Cualquier copia, uso o
distribución no autorizados de esta comunicación queda estrictamente
prohibida.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and the accompanying document(s) may
contain confidential information which is privileged and intended only for
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the
distribution or use of this e-mail and/or accompanying document(s) is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender at the above e-mail address.