[ros-users] Enterprise Version of ROS

Edwards, Shaun M. sedwards at swri.org
Mon Apr 16 15:20:41 UTC 2012

Kartik,

Based on our customers, which I admit is probably a very narrow viewpoint, there would be no need for backwards compatibility.  Our customers aren't interested in the latest and greatest.  What's more important is that the version that they are using is robust and reliable.  In practice this might result in porting critical bug fixes back to "certified" versions for those customers that need it, but I would hope these would be few and far between.

I wouldn't want to limit ROS development by imposing backwards compatibility requirements.  As ROS and associated libraries become more mature we could then impose backwards compatibility requirements.

I think what you point out is certifying versions of ROS will require significant amounts of testing development effort.  The hope would be that the testing software component would not have to be reworked every time we decide to created a certified version of ROS, thereby imposing some sort of backwards compatibility requirement.  There is certainly a balancing act that we as a community need to maintain so that we can have certified versions of ROS with commercial acceptance as well as freedom to change and develop ROS as needed to meet research objectives.

Shaun Edwards
Senior Research Engineer
Manufacturing System Department

http://robotics.swri.org