[ros-users] Incomplete install instructions for Fuerte on Ubuntu

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 19:43:08 UTC 2012

 http://answers.ros.org/question/32875/rosdep-command-not-found

> The rosemacs page already documents how to get the new version.  I
> added a note to the fuerte page to more specifically call out that it
> is a separate tool.  I also added explicit installation sections to
> rosdep and rosinstall wiki pages (previously you had to jump through
> to the sphinx docs).

Emacs users can figure out what to do once they realize it's no longer
in the ROS install tree.

>> The source install instructions[2] do mention rosdep in passing, but I
>> see nothing clearly stating exactly what pip installs are required for
>> people to develop code based on Fuerte binaries.
>
> http://ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Installation/Ubuntu/Source#fuerte.2BAC8-Installation.2BAC8-rosinstall.rosinstall
>
> "sudo easy_install -U rosinstall vcstools rospkg rosdep"
>
> I'm not sure I understand the comment well enough to document anything
> different (or where to add more breadcrumbs for people to find the
> documentation they are looking for).  The above is basically the union
> of the rosinstall and rosdep installation instructions (NOTE: rospkg
> is installed if you have Fuerte binaries).

I'm not sure, either. People who install ROS core from binaries, but
use or develop other source packages need to know about some pip
installs. They do not appear on the Ubuntu install page.
--
 joq