[ros-users] arduino serial and ros

Cam Bazz cambazz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 17:57:27 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am trying to make a ros serial driver for the LSM303.

This sensor should output, 2 vectors - from 3d accelerotometer and
magnetormeter.

I have already completed reading it from arduino, and etc. I have
looked at ADC example, then i found about sensor_msgs and different
kind of msgs. Basically there are private members, and some way of
serializing, deserializing it, which i have not exactly understood.

How should i go about integrating this LSM303 to rosserial? To get the
true heading some computation must be performed, or the ros serial
could just take data in raw format.

Also, there must be some methods to initialize the compass whenever needed.

I can read the sensor with its library, then put result in some sort
of msg and publish it? I would try right now, but I quite could not
figure out the serialization deserializations.

Any ideas/recomendations/help greatly appreciated.

Best regards.
C.B.