[ros-users] Catkin API Review Tuesday August 14th 9am PST

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Aug 13 11:02:14 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Thanks for all the discussions and suggestions about the design of Catkin.
 We are planning to have a review at 9am PST Tuesday August 14th to try to
nail down these decisions.

Please let me know if you'd like to participate. We're planning to try
using out a Google Hangout.  If you cannot do that, we can also use
standard telephone conference calls in parallel.  We also plan to keep
notes in a google doc so that everyone can see the notes in realtime.

Below is the agenda we have put together.  We have tried to capture the
points we have discussed over the last few weeks.  If there's anything
we've missed or you would like to add please let us know and we can add it
to the agenda.

Tully

PS If you haven't been following closely past discussions can be viewed on
http://www.ros.org/wiki/catkin/Reviews/2012-08-01_API_Review  and
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/ros-sig-buildsystem

*Proposed Agenda: *
*Packages and Packaging

   - ROS packages are packaged, no more ROS stacks
      - General decision
      - Joined/separate versioning of multiple packages per repository
      - Add bugtracker
   - Release process
      - Version number in distro.yaml requires pull request for leveling it
   - Meta packages (vs.) variants
      - What aspect should they cover / what not?
      - One generalized concept or different things necessary?
      - What information is stored and where?
   - Effects on the ROS wiki
      - Package/Stack/Variant header
      - How does the new concept map to the current content?
      - Standard Changelist location/format in repo
   - Separation of dev and runtime packages

Building

   - Catkin
      - more standard conformant: find_package(), pkg-config, etc.
      - Differences between catkin in Fuerte and Groovy
         - better FHS compliance
         - buildspace supported the same as a installspace
      - Global vs. local buildfolder (vs. multiple workspaces)
   - Uninstall target
   - Effects for the user and necessary tools
   - Workspace assistants
      - Such as roscreate, rosmake etc.

Milestones, Outlook

   - What needs to be done in which order?
      - How does it affect the roadmap of Groovy?
   - Decide which functionality/changes go into Groovy, Hydro (and
   optionally Groovy when implemented in time)
      - ABI version?
      - Versioned dependencies?
   - What is planned to be catkin-ized for Groovy?
      - Currently 55 of 282 released stacks
   - Future support for dry stuff
      - rosmake
      - Build farm: prereleases and building Debian packages
      - Wiki integration

*

--
Tully Foote