[ros-users] Replacement of PIP installed tools with apt based installation

Lorenz Mösenlechner moesenle at in.tum.de
Wed Aug 8 16:19:47 UTC 2012

Hi Jack,

On my system (Ubuntu Oneiric) it is actually resolved (import
rosinstall works). As I understand it, debian packages are supposed to
put their python files in /usr/share/pyshared. See
http://wiki.debian.org/Python/Policy, in particular:

 /usr/share/pyshared: Every file into this directory is made available
in /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages, if the package supports pythonX.Y
and pythonX.Y is installed on the system. This directory is not
directly included in sys.path.

Lorenz