[ros-users] Move ROS answers to StackExchange?

Jonathan Bohren jonathan.bohren at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:02:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Marcus Liebhardt <
marcus.liebhardt at yujinrobot.com> wrote:

> Sorry guys, seems like I didn't make myself clear enough.
> My intention is _NOT_ merging ROS Answers into another existing Q&A site,
> such as StackOverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/) or Robotics (mentioned
> in the other thread).
> I suggest moving our Q&A to StackExchange (http://stackexchange.com/),
> which is an aggregation of various Q&A sites all sharing the same
> underlying system (software as far as I understand).
> So, we would still have our own, ROS-only Q&A site.

First, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Second, I think part of why answers.ros.org was created was that it takes a
while to get a new stackexchange site approved (as you can see from the
area51 stuff). Back when ROS answers was launched, it would have taken too
long to get such a site set up on stackexchange.

At this point maybe the community is big enough to merit a stackexchange
site, but I imagine there would be no way to copy all of the past answers
from answers.ros.org to a new site, and so we'd lose a large amount of
accumulated knowledge.

I don't know how challenging it is to maintain answers.ros.org, but at
least from the user-end it's fairly simple to create an account via OpenID.

So I'm not sure how much we'd actually gain from switching to another
platform, but we'd definitely fragment a lot of already-accumulated
information.

-j