[ros-users] Move ROS answers to StackExchange?

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Thu Aug 16 10:29:26 UTC 2012

Hi Markus,

When we chose to deploy answers.ros.org using Askbot we definitely
considered StackExchange, as well as every other Q&A engine we could
find. I can't fine the archives of the mailing list where we discussed the
deployment.  But below's a quick retrospective on why we chose Askbot over
StackExchange.   We chose to host our own site for several reasons.

- We've had trouble relying on external hosting sites in the past. Even
something as simple ass uptime nothings more frustrating than knowing your
server is down and not having someone who's accountable for bringing it
back online.
- Also StackExchange is very integrated in their own ecosystem and doesn't
allow much customization, at the most basic they will only host on their
domains.  And they have a very onerous system for getting started.
- We're also an advocate of open source software and try to use open source
software when possible.
- We have full control of our own servers such that we know that we have
good backups of all the data. And don't rely on a 3rd party to persist this
large (valuable) knowledge base indefinitely.
- We have been able to work with the active Askbot developers on specific
feature enhancements our users have requested.
- We can integrate better with our other services like the wiki.

And with respect to maintenance of the server, yes there is a load, but it
is not something that is noticeable once the server is setup.  The majority
of time required by the site is releated to maintaing/generating the
content not keeping the site running.

Tully

Tully Foote
tfoote at willowgarage.com