[ros-users] Announcing ros_rt_wmp

Danilo Tardioli dantard at unizar.es
Mon Feb 20 11:32:35 UTC 2012

Hello ROS users,

I am announcing the release of ros_rt_wmp.

The ros_rt_wmp is a ROS node capable of replicating whatever ROS topic or
service in another computer wirelessly connected with the source without
the need of sharing the same roscore.

As an example consider a team of robots building cooperatively a map. The
robots have to exchange their laser and pose information. However if the
network that connect the robots is not completely connected and they can't
use an infrastructure network (an outdoor chain network for example) there
is no way to share data among robots using the ROS.
The ros_rt_wmp allows to distribute/decentralize a complex robotics system
in multiple computation units in a transparent form: the only requisite is
to know which data from other robots we need in each one of them.

You can found the source code at
https://github.com/dantard/unizar-rt-wmp-ros-pkg
while the documentation at
https://github.com/dantard/unizar-rt-wmp-ros-pkg/wiki where  a step by step
tutorial is also available.

The package is young (it is probable you'll fing bugs) but it seems to work
quite well.

Best regards,
 Danilo

Grupo de Robótica, Percepción y Tiempo Real
Instituto de Investigación en Ingeniería de Aragón (I3A)
Centro Universitario de la Defensa
Zaragoza, Spain