[ros-users] New repository for bind NXT with ROS: nxt-lejos-pkg

Juan Antonio Breña Moral bren at juanantonio.info
Wed Feb 29 23:44:48 UTC 2012

Good night,

my colleague Lawrie Griffiths and me, Juan Antonio Breña Moral, are
developing a new software to bind a Lego Mindstorms NXT with ROS using
the Open Source Project, LeJOS, A Java Virtual Machine for Lego
Mindstorms. LeJOS has a rich API based on Java to build Robots with NXT:
http://lejos.sourceforge.net/nxt/nxj/api/

This development is an alternative for the current support for NXT with
ROS. The main difference between nxt_ros and nxt_lejos is the technology
used to connect with a NXT brick. In this case we use LeJOS with ROSJava
working together. Besides, we are testing other projects as JavaCV.

Our ROS development is located in the following URL:
https://lejos.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/lejos/trunk/ros/

Our preliminar roadmap is:

SLAM/MCL with Kinect and NXT
A new vision API for NXT