[ros-users] Standard ROS services

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Wed Feb 1 19:50:16 UTC 2012

Running up to the ROS 1.0 release, we try to purge as much of
std_msgs/std_srvs as possible.  std_msgs was whittled down to (mostly)
just 1-to-1 mappings of the primitives, and std_srvs was whittled down
to the Empty service.

My preference would be to keep it this way, though this does not
forbid a commonly-used services ontology elsewhere.

That said, one of the reasons we purged so many services is that its
hard to have semantically meaningful common services.  Services are
more equivalent to method declarations, so a 'GetBool' service is
similar to naming a method or interface, 'GetBool'. There are cases
where such a method is reasonable, but it doesn't provide any higher
level semantic other than the type signature.

 - Ken