[ros-users] Draft REP: Coordinate Frames for Humanoids Robots

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 14:59:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Thomas Moulard <thomas.moulard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:

>> REP-0103 says:
>>
>>  "In relation to a body the standard is: x forward, y left, z up".
>>
>> While "up" may seem arbitrary for a gripper, "forward" suggests the
>> direction to which it is extended.
>
> Sorry for the delay.
> What would be your proposition, removing the scheme and just adding that
> the frames is oriented as X toward the object and Y the object main axis?

Definitely, X toward the object.

I propose Y to be the main dimension in which the "fingers" of the
gripper move. Some hand-like or claw-like devices may not fit that
notion very well, but it can probably be defined in a way that is at
least understandable.

Z would be the remaining dimension, orthogonal to X and Y.
--
 joq