[ros-users] Driver for new Hokuyo UTM-30LX-EW lasers?

Geoffrey Biggs geoffrey.biggs at aist.go.jp
Wed Feb 8 04:29:47 UTC 2012

On 08/02/12 12:43, Frederick.Pauling at csiro.au wrote:
> The UTM-30LX-EW (http://www.autonomoustuff.com/hokuyo-utm-30lx-ew.html)
> has multi-echo capability, but this requires the driver to implement the
> new SCIP 2.2 protocol. Does anyone have a driver for this laser, or plans
> to write one? It would seem logical to extend the hokuyo_node package
> somehow.

The HokuyoAIST library (http://gbiggs.github.com/hokuyoaist/) has had
support for SCIP 2.2, including multi-echo support, for a year or so. It
was tested on the UXM-30LX-EW, but as the protocol is the same, it
should all work on the UTM-30LX-EW as well. See
Sensor::set_multiecho_mode().

The library is currently being rewritten to use Boost ASIO. It's
perfectly usable now, though; you just need to install an extra dependency.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a ROS node for it.

Geoff