[ros-users] Current state of SMACH in ROS

Herman Bruyninckx Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be
Thu Feb 16 20:36:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Edwards, Shaun M. wrote:

> Herman,
>
> I definitely agree.  I had Orocos in mind for the hard realtime aspects.
> Could you elaborate more on the "Coordination via FSM" or provide a web
> link?

This might be a good introduction.

Coordination is _the_ major missing feature in ROS. (SMACH is a small step
in this direction.) My contacts with industrial/professional users of
Orocos is that most of their added value lies in how good they are in doing
"pure Coordination" (together with find the "best" architecture for a
particular application, but both things are highly coupled).

Herman

> Shaun Edwards
> Senior Research Engineer
> Manufacturing System Department
>

> http://robotics.swri.org
> http://rosindustrial.swri.org/
> http://ros.swri.org
> Southwest Research Institute
> 210-522-3277

   KU Leuven, Mechanical Eng., Mechatronics & Robotics Research Group
     <http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 328056
   EURON Coordinator (European Robotics Research Network) <http://www.euron.org>
   Open Realtime Control Services <http://www.orocos.org>
   Associate Editor JOSER <http://www.joser.org>, IJRR <http://www.ijrr.org>