[ros-users] Current state of SMACH in ROS

Frederic Siepmann fsiepman at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Feb 16 22:32:38 UTC 2012

Hi there,

On 02/16/2012 09:36 PM, Herman Bruyninckx wrote:
> Coordination is _the_ major missing feature in ROS. (SMACH is a small step
> in this direction.)

I also couldn't agree more. I can not tell too much about the current
state of SMACH but there are plenty of frameworks out there dealing with
this very topic. One of the more advanced ones might be the SCXML
implementation from Apache Commons
(http://commons.apache.org/scxml/guide/scxml-documents.html) and we
(opensource.cit-ec.de/projects/bonsai) and probably some other RoboCup
teams have taken some steps to deal with coordination.

I was wondering what you think about e.g. using SCXML in ROS or bridging
existing frameworks?

Cheers,
Frederic