[ros-users] Current state of SMACH in ROS

Ingo Lütkebohle iluetkeb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:09:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Herman Bruyninckx
<Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be> wrote:
> SCXML is a _standard_, not a piece of software, so it can, in itself, not
> bridge any frameworks.

Well, in itself, no. But it is certainly helpful for bridging
frameworks when one has a standard way to exchange machine structures.

> And as most W3C standards, it's _way_ to feature
> rich; for example, it specifies iteration and conditionals, which is just
> one of the many "event logics" that one might want to use.

I agree, and we deliberately only use a subset of SCXML's
functionality, with other features being rejected at design time.
However, everything that I want to express in a state-machine
language, I can express in it. That's a very good start, in my
opinion, and something that is otherwise lacking.

cheers,

--
Ingo Lütkebohle
Bielefeld University

PGP Fingerprint 3187 4DEC 47E6 1B1E 6F4F  57D4 CD90 C164 34AD CE5B