[ros-users] USB camera (UVC) driver API review

Ken Tossell ken at tossell.net
Tue Feb 21 00:39:58 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Dejan Pangercic
<dejan.pangercic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ken,
> we have extracted passive auto focus out of the guvcview driver and
> patched your uvc_camera driver with it. We could provide that same for
> the libuvc_camera as well.

That would be a really nice feature, but unfortunately we can't
include the guvcview code in this package, as guvcview is provided
under the GPL and libuvc_camera needs to have a license that would let
a user link the driver into non-GPL software (mainly nodelets).

Unless someone wants to rewrite the autofocus code or you can get
permission to re-license guvcview's implementation: Could this be used
as a separate node?

For the rewriting option: Do you know of any document that describes
the auto-focus algorithm found in gucview? I've read the source, and I
think I understand most of it, but there are a few places in
getFocusVal() where I'm getting lost.

 - Ken