[ros-users] bug: SOEM stack: Errors in master component re-configuration

Ruben Smits ruben.smits at intermodalics.eu
Thu Feb 23 07:37:27 UTC 2012

Hi Santiago,

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Santiago Focke <focke.85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been trying to make some reconfigurations with the Orocos SOEM master
> component and I saw that after doing it the component stopped working
> correctly. This was caused because every time the component (re)configures
> itself, it creates again all the slaves found in the network, and adds the
> into the m_drivers vector. So, if I have one slave and configure 3 times my
> master, there will be 3 different slave drivers in the vector for the same
> slave. Also, when reconfiguring, it cannot add the service of the
> last-created driver, and the first-created one will be pointing to some
> region of memory that no longer corresponds to the slave image (in case
> SOEM remaps in a different place). I'm thinking on using a class variable
> (set by an operation of the master service) that will define if the master
> makes the whole configuration (searching for slaves, mapping, etc..) or
> just the slaves' parameter configuration, but I'd like to listen to better
> options.

This problem has been troubling me too, I haven't had the time to implement
a nice solution though. I think we should split up the current
configuration into to different steps:

* A configuration of the interface so we can talk to the EtherCAT device
* Slave specific configuration

On top of this I also would like to add some functions to the SoemDriver to
change the operational mode per-slave instead of doing it for the entire
stack at once during configuration/starting.

> Regards,
>
> --
> Santiago

Ruben