[ros-users] Capability of ARM dev board for ROS host

Armstrong-Crews, Nicholas - 1002 - MITLL nickarmstrongcrews at ll.mit.edu
Fri Jan 13 16:29:41 UTC 2012

Kent,

Since you're interested in using a beagleboard and/or android phone as a robot brain, I'm guessing you want the robot to be cheap, small, or both. These are actually very different!

1)      if cheap: spend your time finding/ROS-ifying/writing your own nav and slam packages. I've found move_base and gmapping to be very CPU-intensive (since gmapping is multi-hypothesis, and move_base's local planner is a forward simulator). They work great w/ a consumer laptop (thanks, WG!), but were not really designed for low-spec hardware. Potential field local planner + A* global planner + Karto for SLAM used much less CPU for similar performance.

2)      if small: invest in one or more hokuyo laser range finders; or if you really want vision-only, get some panoramic cameras (like PointGrey's ladybug) or a bunch of standard pinhole cameras pointing in all directions (like Google's streetview car), or a more reasonable number of stereo cams (like PointGrey's bumblebee).

3)      if both: drastically reduce your expectations of what tasks the robot can perform :)

I would offer a grim warning: beware sending Kinect or uncompressed video or even high-res compressed video over a wireless link (to be processed by a heftier off-board robot brain). Unless you have an uncrowded 300 Mbps connection and are within line-of-sight, your link will get hosed and all tubes will be clogged (not just the /video topic).

Cheers,
-Nick

PS - @ros-users: is there a better way, e.g. a wiki, to make public these discussions on "how should I make a robot of type X with ROS" ?