[ros-users] rviz is moving to Qt, preview available

Dirk Thomas mail at dirk-thomas.net
Thu Jan 12 10:06:56 UTC 2012

>         I have taken some time to merge the matplotlib into ros-gui for real-time  scalar data visualization. This is actually a simple version of original rxplot. I think the plot quality is better
>         than qwt:
>         https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/110758615329253997840/albums/5687860553056164161/5696030098198932738
>
>     The image looks great. Is the repository for this plugin available?
>
>           And I'll soon implement rxbag in ros-gui.
>
>     This would be a great plugin for ROS GUI.
>     It would be one of the most important rx-tools yet missing in ROS GUI.
>     May be it would be good to put this directly into the "ros_gui" stack?
>
> I'd like to merge all my code in ros_gui stack. But what shall I do?

I think the best way for now is that you send me the code (or later on diffs).
I will then commit them to the ROS GUI repository.

>     I would hope the property editor widget could be used to edit properties of lots of things in ROS_GUI, but I haven't tried it.  Also, I haven't set up the Python bindings to happen for the
>     property editor code yet, I don't know if that will be hard or easy.
>
> This is very useful! But what if both two ros_gui plugins have a same widget? Apparently loading a same widget twice is not efficient. At the moment I don't think there is a communication scheme
> between plugins in ros_gui. Am I right?

Yes, that is right - there is no direct interface to access other plugins from within one plugin.
But of course you can use a ROS topic to exchange arbitrary information.

May be something like this might be added later on - this is still the first version of ROS GUI.
There might be many useful additions which could be realized in the future.

>       And I'll soon implement rxbag in ros-gui.

I will working on ROS GUI in the future quite a lot.
So please keep me posted when you work on specific plugins in order to avoid duplicate work.
E.g. a rxbag-like plugin is certainly one of the next plugins to be implemented.
It might be a good idea to fill a feature request for specific plugins to keep track of what is already being worked on.

>     Good stuff!  I designed rxbag in such a way that it could be included in a larger system, so hopefully that integration should be straightforward.

Since ROS GUI is based on Qt and rxbag uses wxWidgets the actual UI and interaction logic must be reimplemented anyway.

Dirk