[ros-users] Capability of ARM dev board for ROS host

Arjun Arumbakkam akarjun at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 09:03:07 UTC 2012

Hi Kent,
It depends on what linux distribution you are using on your board. If you
use a full fledged Ubuntu distribution, your processor and memory is going
to be loaded and there will be little room for other processes.
That said, if you use a lightweight Ubuntu distribution such as Lxde with
Lxdm, you could have room for more computation. We've used a Gumstix Overo
board with lxde and lxdm to run a roscore, olsr with two wifi interfaces
and a rosnode (with minor computation) and still found the X interface
quite responsive. It could have handled some image processing as well, but
we ran localization, planning, control and image processing nodes offboard
on a beefy laptop like Damon suggested in his email. The Gumstix Overo uses
an ARM Cortex A8 core with 512 MB, same as the beagleboard. You could go
one up by using just a console image without X. That might give you more
room for image processing, etc.
-Arjun.