[ros-users] Visual-Inertial SLAM Sensor

Ingo Lütkebohle iluetkeb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 16:58:52 UTC 2012

Janosch,

would it be interesting for you to look beyond VSLAM applications?

I can say that for social human-robot-interaction, the camera setup is
one of the more complex pieces, and requires a fair bit of processing
even for basic stuff. One needs to be able to move the camera around
fast and slow, it must not be too big (which is, today, usually
achieved by placing the sensor apart from the processing), and
integration with an inertial sensor is definitely a bonus (one can do
the vestibulo-ocular-reflex based on good joint sensors, but it's not
the ideal thing). Furthermore, most of the heads I know of have
abysmal optics (fixed focus, etc.)

To support such things, your systems would, primarily, need to be able
to cope with changes to the spatial relation of the cameras at
runtime.

cheers,
Ingo