[ros-users] Draft REP: Coordinate Frames for Humanoids Robots

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:06:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Armin Hornung
<HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> On 2012-01-18 15:02, Thomas Moulard wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Armin Hornung
>> <HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de>  wrote:

> With the new sketch the gripper frames are much clearer! Is there a
> rationale in using x going "up" in this case (collinear) and y "towards" the
> object? With REP-103 I would say that x forward and z up is much more
> intuitive ("in relation to a body" would hereby relate to the gripper / end
> effector). Maybe someone familiar with the existing grapsing pipeline(s) can
> chime in here.

I like that sketch, but agree with Armin that the coordinate axes
shown there are quite surprising.

REP-0103 says:

 "In relation to a body the standard is: x forward, y left, z up".

While "up" may seem arbitrary for a gripper, "forward" suggests the
direction to which it is extended.
--
 joq