[ros-users] Generic interface for Ackermann Steering based robots

Austin Hendrix legotown at aol.com
Fri Jan 27 17:25:19 UTC 2012

My personal robot is a ackermann-styke rover based on a traxxas slash. I have most of thenavigation stack up and running; in particular, my base subscribes to cmd_vel in the same way as a traditional base, and publishes the standard odometry messages and frames for the navigation stack. I'm using the sbpl_lattice_planner as the global navigation planner, and a custom local planner that deals with the constraints of an ackermann base.

The stack with my local planner is at https://github.com/trainman419/Senior-Project/tree/interrupts/ros/ackermann_local_planner . It's a start, but it has a bug in that it doesn't deal with points on the path where the robot reverses direction; rather than target the reverse point, it targets some point past the reverse.

My robot and navigation stack configuration is in this package: https://github.com/trainman419/Senior-Project/tree/interrupts/ros/dagny . Note that I have the navigation stack parameters tuned well below normal, becuase I am running a very slow processor (500MHz AMD Geode).

-Austin