[ros-users] Generic interface for Ackermann Steering based robots

Piyush piyushk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 00:05:53 UTC 2012

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this. I was not aware that a version
of the local planner for ackermann navigation existed. Austin, if you
think your solution is reusable, would you mind adding your solution
as one of the answers here:
http://answers.ros.org/question/27/how-can-i-use-the-navigation-stack-on-a-carlike
(I suspect this would directly follow up on Chad's answer)

The initial port of our navigation code will be completely independent
of the navigation stack. However if we can decide on a common
interface, then with a bit of effort we may be able to choose between
different navigation solutions. Stefan, I for one would definitely be
interested if you moved your solution to open source. We probably
won't be working with a terrain as difficult as RoboCup Rescue, but it
might be useful nonetheless to take a look at it.

Jack, what is the best place on the wiki to setup a group for this?

Thanks
Piyush