[ros-users] Generic Logging to MongoDB and example applications

Tim Niemueller niemueller at kbsg.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jul 27 12:54:44 UTC 2012

Hello ROS users.

Most of the data produced on robot systems today is volatile: it is
acquired, processed, and discarded. With this mail, we announce the
monogodb_log package [1], which is a generic logging facility to store
any and all data transmitted via topics to the document-oriented,
schema-free database MongoDB [2]. The big advantage of this package
compared to mongo_ros is that it keeps the message type structure for
the documents in the database (see [1] for an example), allowing for
more selective and efficient queries. The conceptual background and
experimental and benchmark results are detailed in our IROS paper [3].

The project website [4] gives more details on the system and provides
all relevant links to the ROS and Fawkes specific pages, the paper and
more. We welcome anybody interested to use the system, contribute
enhancements and extensions, and implement exciting applications of the
database and making use of the stored data in new ways.

This work is the result of a cooperation of the Personal Robotics Lab at
The Robotics Institute of the Carnegie Mellon University and the
Knowledge-based Systems Group at the RWTH Aachen University.

Regards from Aachen,
  Tim

[1] http://ros.org/wiki/mongodb_log
[2] http://www.mongodb.org
[3] http://www.fawkesrobotics.org/publications/2012/robodb-iros2012/
[4] http://www.fawkesrobotics.org/projects/mongodb-log/

--
KBSG - Knowledge-based Systems Group            AllemaniACs RoboCup Team