[ros-users] Inconsistency between move_base and exploration

Cengiz Kaygusuz cemkyg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 12:24:41 UTC 2012

I've been trying to get turtlebot to do exploration on gazebo environment.
Somehow I managed to make this work but it looks like there are still quite
bit to be done.
My problem is, graphically this: http://imgur.com/a/lESsv (odd pictures are
from explore/map, evens are from /map which is constructed by gmapping)
It looks like explore node is publishing goals according to its own map,
while move_base are trying to execute these goals according to the map
given by gmapping. Everything works just fine while these two are in
agreement, but when explore publishes a coordinate which possibly conflicts
with the map (like publishing a goal directly into an obstacle, to a
coordinate which robot's footprint intersects with a nearby obstacle or to
a unexplored area).
I thought maybe it was behaving like this because of misconfiguration, but
the same thing happens with pr2's exploration stack :
http://imgur.com/a/y9hkL

Now, my reasoning is; the exploration stack looks like the de-facto stack
for executing exploration duties on ROS so I'd expect it to contain some
bugs here and there but this kind of major design flaw passing by unnoticed
is not possible.
Another possible source of this problem may be misconfiguration but I get
the same result with pr2 and its exploration stack yet it is again very
unlikely that anything comes with pr2 has an unnoticed fault of this
caliber, yet the examples given under explore_stage package is working just
fine. I need to make things perfectly working together but from now on I
have no idea how to proceed other than delving into some code.

Thank you for your attention.

- Cengiz